A monastery of the 16th century has become a multicenter, art cafe, bar, concert hall, exhibition area and a hair salon. In 68 years, Karolos Kampelopoulos decided to live permanently in Chania, living a life full of art and history. His options in all areas, even in his home, they are still dinstict, like his whole life, resembling to a novel.
Karolos has found and bought a ruined place in the old town near the first Venetian fortification. The crumbling walls are still indelibly marking its long and rich history of the city of Chania, which decides to study. Special choice for a special man, serving culture and art. With this choice implements the saying of the poet Akis Alcaeus, who left recently, that "the story becomes necessary." Is the old monastery of Our Lady of Mercy or Mary Merciful. After many years of effort, he manages to restore the building with respect to the monastic architecture, while maintaining its numerous disparate cultural elements that occasionally guests of a different religion, embodied in it for the restoration of the building.
He found and studied the first illustration of a monastery engraving of the 17th century. Restored, maintained, utilized and emerged it with love and great attention to the Greek and Ottoman elements of the building, because the area had pronounced the Venetian and Ottoman influences, altered ofcourse, of the marks, which time left. Little is known about this area - our information from the archives of the Republic of Venice in the 16th and 17 century, and the works of the Venetian archaeologist Giuseppe Gkerola that those who know, came envoy in 1900 by the Institute of Arts and Sciences Venice, as the head of an entire workshop, with a mandate to study, photograph and record Greek monuments across the island, they first destroyed by time.
The Venetians even in the early 20th century, were showing interest in the historical continuity of their culture, even in other countries, unlike others. Giuseppe Gkerola stayed in Crete for two years and returning to Venice, gave the Institute throughout his work, issued from 1905 to 1932 in four volumes, with great shape and luxury paper, entitled "Venice of books and islands of Crete". These books were issued to only 500 copies. In the second volume of his work he speaks for all the churches of Crete and the Monastery of Our Lady the Merciful was first mentioned as a Catholic monastery of the 16th century. Here we must make a brief reference to the bloom of Catholicism in Crete, as testified by the roman catholic monasteries of the city of Chania in this period.